Monday, February 28, 2011

Yeasty little Buggers, Day II

It's another day in the life of a graduate student: staring until my eyes bug out at a computer screen, writing endlessly, goofing off on the internets, neglecting the kids.


Yeah, it's been a pretty dull and not so interesting day in my life.


But the wild yeast in my kitchen are so happy! That's right, the wild yeast in my kitchen loves the sourdough starter I left out for them yesterday. I am learning yeast husbandry. I want to totally claim that as my own, but Alanna came up with that one -- it's one of the many reasons we are together.


Here, take a look:

The lighting is different, it's even taken in a different room, but the important thing is you can see BUBBLES! I was preparing myself for not seeing any action or change in the starter for several days. Granted, this is after I removed half of the starter from yesterday (something about keeping acid levels correct) and mixing in another 1/4 cup of filtered water and whole spelt flour.

But the super cool thing is it smells yeasty. You know that smell of fresh baked breadstuffs, that tangy sweet smell that tells you something good is going on.

My life might be a little stressful and boring right now, but my kitchen is so full of yeast, I started tending some right away. Which is kind of cool and creepy at the same time.

Well, I'm off. I have to do something besides look at a computer. I think I have logged something like twelve hours straight today. I will need glasses when I'm done with this degree, I swear.

Tomorrow, hopefully another installment in As the Yeast Grows, or All My Microbials, or The Small and the Fermenting.

1 comment: